Category: Project Dangerzone

Scrolling Background

Greetings!

Last week, I implemented a scrolling background into our game to give the sense of movement that the player plane was flying forward.

The scrolling code was very simple to do using only 2 background objects. How it worked was you set the speed and direction you wanted the GameObject to move then once it reached a certain point, it would look back up to its original position and repeat. In this case, the certain point was the length of the Sprite so as soon as the GameObject had moved it’s own length, it would then set the position back to it’s original one. The use of Mathf.Repeat helped simplify the movement code as it ensured a value was kept within a certain range and if it went beyond that range, it would loop back around to the start and add the difference on.

The code is simple, robust and is easy to read so I am happy with it. Using the y size of the Sprite means this script can be easily added onto any other GameObject with a SpriteRenderer and have that be used as a scrolling object without needing to calculate the length of it in Unity’s world units. Although there isn’t a specific I would improve this script, I would like to improve the background scrolling system overall. This would be done by allowing some randomness so the surface underneath you doesn’t feel as repetitive as different background sprites would be used. The sprites could also be randomly offset along the x axis too, to give more variance to the terrain.

Week 4 Gameplay

Hardware Research, Enemies and Controls

Greetings all!

Part of our task this week was to research about the Nexus 9 tablet (our primary target device for the game) to learn it’s capabilities. We looked into the hardware of the device, the history and possibly future of the device and entire Nexus 9 as a whole. Each section of the research project was assigned to each member with myself writing about the core hardware of the Nexus 9 including CPU and GPU.

However more work on the game was also completed this week with the accelerometer controls almost fully finished (just needs some fine tuning), the pause menu is semi functional (some menus need to be created), enemies now infinitely spawn in different formations and enemies also fire and can kill you! Lots of features completed but still more to work on until it is complete and fully playable.

Read More

Project Management and Teamwork

Greetings all!

This blog post will be shorter than the last blog post so you probably won’t fall asleep this time (but it’s never a bad idea to get a nice drink anyway). I do have a little bit to talk about this week though, mostly relating to project management and working together to create something together. I feel I could have been a much better project co-ordinator last week and the failure of that increased my own workload a little however I know how I can improve on this for the future. And as usual, I’ll be discussing the code I wrote as part of Project Dangerzone this week (which actually ties quite a bit into the project management).

Read More

First post and end of week info dump

Well hello all!

As a start, I shall quickly explain what this blog is going to be about. I will be using it to keep a track of all game development progress I make as well as anything that might be related to it such as interesting information I’ve found when researching or prototyping. In the future I plan to make multiple blog posts per week but for now, I shall sum up my first week.

The week started off with our project group, Trisoft, being assigned the task of creating a High Concept Document (HCD) for a 2D mobile game that uses the accelerometer as the main control scheme. We all met up on the Tuesday evening to have a meal together and discuss everyones ideas then eventually decide on one.

Read More